Hormonal imbalances occur as a result of improper endocrine system function. The endocrine system is made of hormone-producing glands, which are vital for practically every bodily function including growth and development, metabolism and sexual function. So, when there’s a hormonal imbalance in the body, your overall health is affected. The most common signs include headaches, skin problems, insomnia, fatigue, weight gain, and mood problems.
There’s no question yoga is one of the most beneficial workouts for overall health. It restores hormonal balance in the body thus keeping your physical and mental health in check.
Below we recommend the 3 most beneficial yoga poses for stimulating the hormone-producing glands and helping them maintain optimal function. In other words, these yoga poses will support proper secretion and distribution of hormones throughout the body. plus, yoga focuses on proper breathing, which is also important for stimulating the endocrine system.
1# Camel Pose (Ustrasana)
The Camel Pose or Ustrasana is beneficial not only for hormone regulation, but also for stimulation of the internal organs, especially in the neck region – the location of the thyroid and parathyroid glands.
- Kneel on the floor keeping your knees hip-width apart.
- Bring your thighs close to each other and your hip bones up slightly toward the torso.
- Keep your shins and toes firmly on the floor.
- Rest your hands on the back of your pelvis your palms touching your body.
- Using your hands push your tailbone down gently as you push your thighs backward to prevent your body from moving forward.
- Breathe in deeply as your shoulder blades move toward your ribs.
- Slightly lean backward and relax your ribs before pulling the lower ribs up toward your chest and away from the pelvis.
- Moving your arms outward bring your hands down onto your heels.
- Hold for 30 seconds before lifting your torso up.
- Bring your arms forward, and return to starting position.
- Repeat this pose a few times for optimal benefits.
2# Rabbit Pose (Sasangasana)
Rabbit Pose or Sasangasana is also beneficial for stimulating the thyroid and the parathyroid glands. It’s also great for reducing symptoms of depression. While the thyroid gland secretes hormones in charge of growth and metabolic function, the parathyroid glands, also located in the neck, control the amount of calcium released in the body. In other words, hormone balance of the parathyroid glands leads to improper calcium distribution in the body.
- Sit on your heels in Hero Pose.
- Stretch your arms back holding onto the soles of your feet.
- Bring your chin inward toward your chest.
- Round your body forward, hinging it at your hips.
- Bring your head toward the floor your forehead touching your knees.
- Raise your hips upward slightly, the crown of your head resting on the floor.
- Relax comfortably for 5 deep breaths.
- Slowly go back to starting position.
- Do 3 repetitions.
3# Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
Cobra Pose or Bhujangasana is most beneficial for the adrenal gland. Adrenal gland dysfunction affects your body’s ability to fight stress and release tension.
- Lie flat on your stomach, your legs together and your palms flat on the floor beside your shoulders.
- Your head should rest flat on the floor.
- Lift your head and chest upward.
- Hold like this for a minute, breathing in and out deeply.
- Lower yourself back down toward the ground.
- Repeat several times for optimal benefits.