Eggs are full of protein, essential vitamins, and minerals that make them a great natural treatment for healthy, strong, and shiny-looking hair. You can use both the egg yolk and the egg white together to create a nourishing egg hair mask to optimize the health of your hair. Depending on your hair condition, you may just want to use either the egg white or egg yolk to make a hair mask to strengthen hair.
For example, many natural hair treatments that provide deep-down conditioning for dry hair use just the egg yolk because of its fatty acid content. However, if you have oily hair, then it is best that you make natural hair masks containing only egg whites because they are still rich in essential nutrients and protein, but have no fat content.
It is very easy to make natural hair masks using egg whites and yolk. You can also add other ingredients to the hair mask recipes for different hair conditions. For example, adding certain essential oils to an egg yolk hair mask can help improve hair growth and strengthen hair. Other natural hair remedies using yolks and egg white contain honey or natural oils to help moisturize and improve hair health.
In this article, you will find helpful recipes to make your own hair treatments using eggs. These natural hair remedies can be used for all types of hair and may even help boost hair growth.
First of all, let’s look at the reasons why eggs are great for conditioning your hair.
Why Eggs are Good for Hair?
Eggs are a rich source of proteins, amino acids, minerals, and vitamins. The combination of these ingredients is very beneficial for nourishing your hair and keep it strong and healthy. For example, egg yolks contain a large amount of vitamin E, an important antioxidant to rid your scalp of free radicals. Egg yolks also contain vitamins A and D, as well as B-group vitamins – all necessary for healthy hair.
Egg yolk hair mask can be an effective hair treatment due to the fatty acids in egg yolk which helps to deeply moisturize your hair and scalp.1 In fact, egg yolks are one of the few foods naturally containing vitamin D, an essential vitamin to help prevent hair loss.2
Egg whites are also beneficial for your hair because they contain a lot of protein, vitamins and minerals.3For example, egg white contains riboflavin (B2) and a deficiency of this vitamin is linked to hair loss.4Because they don’t contain fat, egg white hair masks are an excellent way to nourish oily hair to help keep it healthy. Egg whites also contain most of the sulfur content of eggs, and sulfur is also a common ingredient in anti-dandruff shampoos.5
Recipes for Egg White or Egg Yolk Hair Masks
Depending on the length of your hair, you may need to adjust the quantities of the ingredients in the following egg hair masks.
Here are some of the best hair masks using yolks or egg whites to add luster and shine to your hair.
Condition hair with egg hair mask
You can quickly make an egg hair mask using both the yolk and egg white as a natural conditioner for healthy hair. This egg hair mask is suitable for any hair type. For this, all you need is 1-2 eggs.
How to make the egg hair mask:
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl to combine the yolk and white.
- Shampoo your hair as normal and use a towel to remove most of the water from your hair.
- Apply the beaten egg to your damp hair and comb through to coat all your hair strands.
- Cover with a shower cap and leave for 15-20 minutes before rinsing out.
You can use this natural hair conditioner 1-2 times a week to keep your hair looking and feeling great.
Egg yolk and egg white hair mask to strengthen hair
Although there have been no scientific studies into using eggs to boost hair growth, eggs are rich in protein which is needed to grow strong hair. The antioxidants in eggs can help to rid the scalp of free radicals and keep the hair follicles nourished and healthy.
To use an egg mask to boost hair growth and prevent hair loss, you can add some essential oils to the hair mask. Research into the ability of certain essential oils, such as rosemary oil, to improve hair growth has shown promising results. For example, the journal Toxicological Research published results of a study showing that peppermint oil effectively stimulates hair growth and was more effective than Minoxidil, a popular drug used to help re-grow hair.4
Use a hair mask containing peppermint or rosemary oil to enhance hair growth and strengthen hair. For this, you will need 1 egg, some olive oil and a few drops of peppermint or rosemary oil.
How to make a hair mask to encourage hair growth:
- Break an egg and add 1 tbsp. olive oil and 2-3 drops of peppermint or rosemary oil and mix together with a fork.
- After washing your hair, squeeze out excess water and lightly dry your hair so that it is still damp.
- Apply the egg hair mask to your hair, making sure that all strands of hair are covered.
- Put a shower cap on your head and leave for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash the egg mask from your hair and dry your hair as normal.
Use the egg hair mask once or twice a week to help strengthen weak hair. To help hair regrow, you will need to use more than just the egg mask. In my article about how to make your hair grow faster, you can find more home remedies to help stop hair thinning.
Egg Yolk Hair Mask for Dry Hair
You can make a natural egg yolk hair mask for dry hair by combining egg yolk, some natural oils for healthy hair, and honey to improve the dull appearance of dry hair.
One of the best natural oils for dry hair is virgin coconut oil. Studies have shown that the moisturizing properties of coconut oil penetrate the hair shaft to prevent hair damage.5 The penetrating effect of coconut oil helps the protein content of the egg yolk get right into the hair to nourish each hair strand deep down.
In my article about the best natural oils for healthy hair, you can find out why jojoba oil is a great ingredient if you have flaky, dry hair and dandruff, or how the antioxidant content of vitamin E in avocado oil can help to keep your hair healthy. Castor oil can also be used in natural conditioning hair masks to help improve and re-grow hair whereas extra virgin olive oil contains vitamins, antioxidant, and minerals and is used intensively for hair care.
To make a yolk hair mask for healthy hair you will need 1-2 egg yolks (depending on the length of your hair), 2-3 tablespoons of natural oil, such as olive oil, melted coconut oil, sweet almond oil, or avocado oil, and 2-3 tablespoons of honey or yogurt.
How to make the egg yolk hair mask:
- Beat the egg yolk with a fork.
- Mix the oil, honey or yogurt with the egg yolk.
- Wash your hair.
- Apply the mixture to damp hair, making sure to massage the egg yolk hair mask into your scalp and taking care to coat all your strands of hair.
- Cover your head with a shower cap and leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse off with cool water.
Use the egg yolk conditioning hair mask once a week to keep your hair looking healthy and prevent the appearance of dry hair and a flaky scalp.
How Egg Whites can Improve Hair Health
If you have very oily hair, you can use the nourishing properties of egg white to naturally keep your hair looking healthy, but without making your hair greasier. Although egg white doesn’t have the same vitamin content as the yolk, it still contains a large amount of protein and many essential nutrients for your hair.
Egg white hair mask for oily hair
You can help control oily hair and at the same time feed it with the many nutrients of egg white by adding lemon juice to the hair mask. The citric acid content in lemon juice helps to cut through the oil and leave your hair looking healthy.
Here is what to do to make a hair mask to get rid of oily hair:
- Mix 2 egg whites, 1-2 tbsp. lemon juice, and 1 tbsp. honey in a bowl.
- After washing your hair, pat it with a towel so that your hair is damp, not wet.
- Apply the egg white hair mask to your hair and gently massage it into your scalp.
- Put on a shower cap and leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse out with cool or lukewarm water.
Apply the egg white hair mask once a week to reduce the appearance of oily hair and to improve the health of your hair and scalp.
Helpful Tips When Using Yolk and Egg White Hair Masks
To successfully use egg yolks and whites in hair masks, it’s important to remember a few things:
- If using just an egg white in your hair mask, you can beat it for a few minutes to form stiff peaks before mixing in other ingredients. This can make it easier to apply.
- Always apply egg hair masks to damp hair as it can be difficult to rinse the egg mask out if it dries in.
- Don’t use hot water to rinse out the egg as you may start to cook the egg and it will be difficult to get it out of your hair.