This may sound little weird, but actually it is very true. Quick self-exam is an easy way to check for swollen lymph nodes or some other bumps and lumps that could cause cancer.
You should know that these glands are commonly found in the groin, armpit, back ear and neck and are very important part of our immune system and protect our body from diseases and infections. So, this means that by checking the lymph nodes in your neck, you can predict if there are risk for parasites or cancer.
Lymph nodes are usually small and kidney-shaped glands. They transport waste, fluids and nutrients from the bloodstream and body tissues. Lymph nodes are not painful at all, and even sometimes you cannot locate them. But, if lymph node become inflamed and swollen, it is an indicator that something is wrong with your body
Common Causes of Swollen Glands
If you notice some bump on your neck or behind your ear, or in some other locations, most likely it is a swollen lymph node. Usually, it means nothing more dangerous than a common cold, but it is very important to consult your doctor. Here are some common causes of swollen lymph nodes located in the neck:
- Toxoplasmosis and other parasitic infections
- Leukemia, lung cancer lymphomas and other cancers related to the lymphatic system
- Many inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus
- Sexually transmitted diseases such as chlamydia and syphilis
- Bacterial diseases such as cat scratch diseases, tuberculosis, strep and staph
- Fungal diseases such as coccidiomycosis and histoplasmosis
- Common cold, chicken pox and other common viruses.
Share your opinions below. Thank you for reading this article. Share it with your family and friends and help them too.